Study Permits/Visas

Canada is considered to have one of the best educational systems in the world, and Canadian educational institutions can accommodate students of all interests and backgrounds. Individuals studying in Canada receive an internationally recognized education that prepares applicants for their future professional pursuits.  Thus, Canada has become perhaps the most attractive destination in the world for international students.  With relatively inexpensive international tuition fees and living costs, a safe and diverse cultural environment, and positive changes to Canada’s immigration policy which might lead to permanent resident status, Canada has become a popular destination for international students.

Provincial Nominee Programs

In order to attract and retain international students, some of the provinces have enhanced their immigration systems, allowing international students to gain permanent resident status through provincial nominee programs rather quickly.  Ontario has attractive programs for students, including a program for master’s degree and PhD graduates, allowing graduates/nominees to apply for permanent resident status in Ontario without a job offer under the Ontario PNP.


To qualify for an academic program, most English-speaking schools may ask students to either pass an English test, or enroll in their own language program or at an ESL partner school.  Each educational institution establishes its own admission standards and assesses the qualifications of each applicant individually. The academic year usually runs from September to May. Some programs also have a January intake.

Working While Studying

Full-time students are permitted to work while they are pursuing their studies: 20 hours per week during their full-time studies and full-time during their vacation time. Students graduating from an eligible educational institution are eligible to apply for an open work permit (up to three years, depending on the length of the educational program).  Completion of studies in Canada will allow you to apply for a post-graduate work permit, which will greatly improve your chances of immigrating to Canada, should you wish to do so.  After 12 months of full-time work experience in Canada, a foreign national may be eligible to apply for permanent resident status.

What Does It Take To Study In Canada?

The tuition fee at a community college could be about $15,000CDN per year, while tuition for undergraduate studies at a university could be between $12,000–$49,000CDN depending on the province, city and choice of program.

In addition to the tuition fee, you will need to demonstrate to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada that they will be able to afford to study and pay for your accommodations without employment, as the purpose of the study permit is to allow students to study.  Therefore, you will need to demonstrate that you have at least $10,000CDN.  The more money you have, the greater the chance of having your study permit approved.

In order to apply for a study permit, you need to have a Letter of Acceptance from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in Canada, which means that you will need to meet their requirements.

How We Help You Succeed

We guide international students in choosing the best program, educational institution, and province for their studies. We gain admission on your behalf from a designated learning institution, represent you in submitting your study permit and post-graduate work permit, and assist with appropriate visas for your accompanying family members.  We will further assist you in applying for permanent resident status and then Canadian citizenship.

For more information about the options that might best fit your circumstances, please contact us today.